Top Health Insurance Providers for Self-Employed Individuals in 2023
Discover the best health insurance companies for self-employed individuals in 2023 to ensure you have the right coverage as a self-employed professional.
Here are some top recommended health insurance providers for self-employed individuals in 2023:
- Aetna - Offers a variety of PPO and HDHP plans suitable for self-employed. Access to large national provider network.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield - Available in many states with plans ranging from HMOs to PPOs and catastrophic options. BlueCard network access.
- Cigna - Has plans compliant for self-employed deductions. Features a national network of doctors and hospitals.
- Kaiser Permanente - For those in areas they serve, Kaiser HMOs offer integrated care and coverage. Some plans have tax deductions.
- UnitedHealthcare - Large selection of plans from PPOs, HMOs and HDHPs. Provides coverage in all 50 states.
- Humana - Strong coverage for freelancers and contractors. Many plans provide tax-deductible premiums.
- Oscar Health - Modern individual and family health plans with good tech tools and mobile apps. Sold in 15 states.
- Direct Health Insurers - Companies like Lively, Pie and eHealthInsurance connect self-employed with individual plans.
If eligible, using a state or federal ACA marketplace can access subsidies and compare plans easily. Working with an independent broker is also recommended to find the right fit.
Best Health Insurance Companies for the Self-Employed of 2023.
The best health insurance companies for the self-employed of 2023 are:
- Kaiser Permanente
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
These companies offer a variety of health insurance plans that are designed to meet the needs of self-employed individuals and families. They also have a good reputation for customer service and financial stability.
Here is a brief overview of each company:
- Kaiser Permanente: Kaiser Permanente is a non-profit health insurance company that offers a variety of health insurance plans, including HMOs, PPOs, and POS plans. Kaiser Permanente is known for its integrated care model, which means that members have access to both primary care and specialty care providers within the same network.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield: Blue Cross Blue Shield is a network of independent health insurance companies that offer a variety of health insurance plans, including HMOs, PPOs, and POS plans. Blue Cross Blue Shield is the largest health insurance provider in the United States, and it has a network of providers that is nationwide.
- Aetna: Aetna is a health insurance company that offers a variety of health insurance plans, including HMOs, PPOs, and POS plans. Aetna is known for its focus on preventive care and wellness programs.
- UnitedHealthcare: UnitedHealthcare is a health insurance company that offers a variety of health insurance plans, including HMOs, PPOs, and POS plans. UnitedHealthcare is known for its large network of providers and its focus on customer service.
- Cigna: Cigna is a health insurance company that offers a variety of health insurance plans, including HMOs, PPOs, and POS plans. Cigna is known for its focus on global health benefits and its wellness programs.
When choosing a health insurance company for the self-employed, it is important to consider your individual needs and circumstances. Some factors to consider include:
- Your budget: Health insurance costs can vary widely depending on the type of plan you choose and the benefits you select. It is important to compare costs from different insurance companies to find a plan that fits your budget.
- Your health: If you have any health conditions, it is important to choose a plan that covers the services and treatments you need. You should also consider the plan's network of doctors and hospitals to make sure that you can see the providers you want.
- Your lifestyle: If you are active, you may want to choose a plan that offers benefits such as vision and dental coverage. You may also want to choose a plan that covers travel insurance if you plan to travel extensively.
It is also a good idea to talk to a financial advisor or insurance broker to get help choosing the best health insurance company for your needs.
Here are some additional tips for choosing a health insurance company for the self-employed:
- Start shopping early. The earlier you start shopping for health insurance, the more time you will have to compare plans and choose the best one for your needs.
- Get quotes from multiple companies. Compare quotes from at least three different insurance companies before making a decision.
- Read the policy carefully. Before you enroll in a health insurance plan, be sure to read the policy carefully to understand what is covered and what is not.
- Ask questions. If you have any questions about a health insurance plan, be sure to ask the insurance company before you enroll.
By following these tips, you can choose the best health insurance company for your needs and budget.